Monday, September 26, 2016

Review: Six of Crows

Six of Crows Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I put off reading this book for so, so long because at the time it was probably the most hyped YA book and I figured it wasn't as good as everyone was making it out to be. Boy, was I wrong.

The first thing I really want to point out is that Leigh Bardugo's pacing is amazing. So often I see books that use a lot of filler between the sequences of high action, but this story doesn't have much filler... if any at all, honestly. The story gives both its readers and characters room to breathe between high intensity scenes without losing its momentum.

The characters are realistic and wholly believable. I loved that Bardugo allowed them character growth but also had them cling to old ideas or dreams. Old habits die hard and it seems Bardugo doesn't mind letting her characters have that courtesy.

I loved everything about this book. I loved how diverse the cast was (Brown characters! Queer characters! Fat characters! Disabled characters!) and how Bardugo handled each of them with obvious care. I'm anxious to see how she continues to handle their development in the next book, Crooked Kingdom!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment